This recipe makes 20 to 25 adais.
Rice flour - 1 cup (240 ml)
Water - 2 cups
Coconut oil - 2 tsp
Coconut - Scrap and cut into thin slices ( 1 to 1.5 tbsp)
Cow peas/Karamani - 1 handful ( Soak in water for 4 hours and pressure cook with little water)
Finely chopped ginger - 2 tsp ( from a 1 inch piece)
Green chillies - 2 , finely chopped
Lemon juice - extracted fro half a lemon ( optional)
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1.5 tsp
Split urad dal - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
- Dry roast the rice flour in a kadai on a medium flame for 10 to 15 min. The end point is when you draw a line with the flour,it should flow continuously as shown.
- Set aside in a plate to cool down to room temperature.
- Add coconut oil in a kadai. Add mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Saute till urad dal turns light brown.
- Add green chillies, ginger,coconut slices and cooked karamani/ cow peas.
- Saute for few seconds.
- Add measured quantity of water and salt.
- Mix well.
- When it starts to boil, add the rice flour and mix well with a flat spatula on a low flame.
- Within few minutes, you will get a smooth dough leaving the sides of kadai.
- When it is warm enough, pour lemon juice and mix well.Take a small ball of dough and pat into flat round adais.
- Make a hole in the centre with your finger.
- Steam the adais in a idly plate for 15 min. When it appears shiny on the outside, then it is done.
- Take out and set aside for some time,then take them out . When it cools down slightly, the adais will not stick to the plate.
- Serve with softened butter.