This recipe can make about 50 pieces.
- Badam /Almonds - 3 cups
- Refined Sugar - 4 and half cups
- ----> For every cup of badam, add one and half cups of sugar.
- Ghee - 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup
- Milk - 1/4 cup(just to grind badam)
- Saffaron - a pinch(optional)
- Edible Colour - a pinch dissolved in 2 tsp of water
- elachi powder - 1 tsp
Use colour only if you are not getting saffaron. Because adding saffaron will give a natural colour to the burfi.
- Grease a plate with ghee
- Boil water and soak badam in hot water for an hour.
- Drain the water and peel off the skin of badam.
- Add the badams into a blender.Add little milk and grind into a very coarse paste.
- Adjust the quality of milk if needed.
- Heat a non stick saucepan and add 2 tbsp of ghee.
- On a low flame,add the ground paste and saute for 5 min without break.
- Now add the sugar and keep stirring.
- The sugar will melt and blend with the badam paste.Add the colour solution/saffaron at this point.
- Do not stop stirring even for a min as the badam will get burnt quickly.
- At a point when the paste starts to thicken,add elachi powder and little ghee and continue stirring.
- When the ghee is absorbed fully,add little more ghee.
- Do not add ghee in one shot .Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ghee in 2 to 4 steps and continue to stir.
- At a point when the paste does not stick to the pan and the bottom of pan could be seen,switch off the flame.
- Immediately pour it over the greased plate and spread with a laddle.
- Allow it to cool under the fan.
- After 5 min,when its still medium hot ,cut into diamond shapes using a knife(first draw horizontal lines and then diagonal lines)
- After an hour,tilt the plate on a flat surface so that the burfi slides off the plate.
- Separate the pieces and store in an air tight container.
Enjoy the rich yummy homemade badam burfi!!!
1)Do not stop stirring even for a min.