Ragi flour - 3 cup
- Urad dal - 3/4 cup
- Rice flour - 2 tbsp
- fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
- salt - 2 tsp
- onion - 1,chopped
- Green chillies - 2 ,slit open
- curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- chana dal - 1/2 cup(soak in water for an hour)
- oil - 2 tsp
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- shredded coconut - 2 tbsp
- asafoetida - a pinch
- Wash and soak urad dal,fenugreek seeds for half an hour.
- Grind into a smooth paste with little water.
- Mix ragi flour and rice flour with water into a smooth batter without lumps.
- Add urad dal paste,salt into it and mix well.
- Keep overnight to ferment.
- Mix the batter well and make idlies as shown.(Steam fo 15 to 20 min)
- Set aside to cool completely and tear off into small pieces.
- Add the pieces into a mixer and pulse twice /thrice to get fine crumbs.
- Cook soaked chana dal in sufficient water for 10 min.
- Drain the excess water.
- Grind green chillies and coconut.(julse pulse once)
- Add oil in a kadai .When hot add mustard seeds,curry leaves,asafoetida,onion and saute for 3 min
- Add chilli-coconut mixture and cooked chana dal.
- Saute for 3 to 5 min,add little salt(as its already there in idly) and add the ragi crumbs.
- Mix well for 2 min and switch off.
- Squeeze lemon juice and keep closed for 5 min.
Mix well and serve hot with sugar/chutney.