This recipe serves two.
- Cluster beans - 250 grams
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Chana dal - 50 grams
- Tuar dal - 50 grams
- Green chillies - 2
- Red chillies - 2 to 3
- Asafoetida powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - a sprig
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Soak Chana dal and Tuar dal in water for half an hour.
- Drain excess water completely.Add asafoetida,red & green chillies ,soaked dals in a mixer,half of salt and grind into a coarse mixture.(Just Pulse them twice/thrice in the mixer...like a parupu vadai)
- Make them into flat vadas and steam in an idly plate for 15 min.(You can also microwave on high for 7 min).
- Add the cooked dal mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool completely.
- Split them without lumps with your hands.(Or pulse it in a mixer just once)
- Wash the beans,remove ends and chop into very small pieces.(say 5 mm)
- Add water just to immerse the chopped beans in a kadai.
- Cook covered with turmeric powder and rest of salt till the veggies become tender.(Add salt after the veggies are half cooked).Drain excess water if any.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add mustard seeds,curry leaves.
- When it splutters,add the dal mixture and saute on a low flame till the dal mixture becomes very fine granules without lumps and gets roasted.(If you are using normal kadai,keep sauting without a stop and take away those stuck to the kadai with the spatula every now and then).
- Add the cooked cluster beans and saute for 5 min.
Serve hot with rice and Sambar/More kootan or any kozhambu.
The same thing can be prepared with normal french beans as well.